CITY GUIDE: TRAVEL WITH MAISON BLANCHE TO MARRAKESH
23 January 2016
Out of the Moroccan desert rises Marrakesh, an oasis of beauty and tranquility that will enchant travelers looking for adventure, rejuvenation, and the experience of a lifetime.
Silhouettes of archways and minarets rise over the Red City, as the muezzin’s call to prayer echoes across the rose-colored sky.
Travelling to Marrakesh is all about fulfilling your fantasies. Have you always wanted to ride a camel in the desert, swath yourself in bright silks, eat dates in the shade of a palm tree, watch belly dancers flick their hips during a banquet dinner?
Top 5 things to do in Marrakesh:
1) Negotiate in the souks. The souk stalls are bursting with silks, slippers, pillows, jewelry, and a million other things that you are going to want to take home, but be prepared to haggle for the right price.
2) See the Atlas Mountains. A few hours’ drive outside of Marrakesh, the snowcapped Atlas Mountains are quite a site when you’re standing in an ocean of hot sand. The temperature will be chilly, so bring a coat and wear walking shoes.
3) Visit the Maison de la Photographie. This riad museum hosts rotating exhibitions of more than 6,000 original photographs, beautiful black-and-white scenes taken between 1870 and the 1950’s. As one of the medina’s tallest buildings, you will get a good view from the tea salon on its roof.
4) The Majorelle Garden in New Town is not to be missed. Bask sun next to mosaic fountains and contemplate life as Yves Saint Laurent, the garden’s former owner.
5) Drink tea. Moroccans are a hospitable and generous people, and they’ll offer you a mint tea every chance they get. The tea is delightful but be warned: they like their mint tea served sugary sweet and scalding hot.
Discover more about Marrakesh and places to journey to here.
Inspired by the sights, sounds and smells of a Moroccan souk, ‘Marrakesh’ is both grounding and delicate. A earthy blend of sandalwood and cedar wood are infused with musk and softened with subtle notes of violet and jasmine.